Access: Theatre, Service
Extended Access: Maintenance
Supervisors: Head of Personnel
Duties: Entertain the crew through non-vocal means, and engage with light rivalry with the clown.
Silently stalking the station, leaning against invisible walls, sitting on invisible chairs, eating invisible food: the Mime has a connection to another world beyond the senses of mortals. The Mime is the rival of the noisy Clown, and usually has a higher standard for their silent pranks and invisible shenanigans.
As the clown is here to prank people, and make them laugh, the mime is here to give a show to people! You are not a silly clown copy, you are a professional, and professionals have standards. Be efficient, be polite, have a plan to distract everyone you meet!
A mime can create invisible walls that block the movement of any who attempt to pass them. Mimes can only manifest a wall every so often and the walls last for a few moments before vanishing; keep in mind, they can't keep out everything!
Be warned that this ability is considered a psionic ability and results in you being able to use the telepath channel but also makes you a target of anti-psychic forces.
Vow of Silence
You cannot talk unless you press the Speech button in your Mime menu. However, to speak as a mime is the ultimate taboo! A mime communicates through gesture. This is their art! Noise is the place of that wretched clown, not a true performer like yourself. In emergencies, a note on a piece of paper can do in a pinch. Such a critic. Make sure your gestures actually make sense to an observer. Use custom emotes to talk and your ass is going to get banned.
A few examples for your viewing pleasure:
WORST: Mimington mimes Person A murdering Person B.
BAD: Mimington mimes out Person A doing horrible things.
OKAY: Mimington points to Person A, mimics a cutting motion, and then gestures to Person B.
BETTER: Mimington mimics a stature similar to Person A's, and throws aggressive movements and stabbing motions.
BEST: Mimington lifts an imaginary knife and aggressively slashes it forward!
Person C: An assault, I guess? So it was a murder. Can you show us who did it, mime?
Mimington nods solemnly, and gestures toward Person A.
Being a good Mime
Being a good mime means being entertaining. People should feel good after having met you. They should not be sour, feel down or made fun of. Even if the station is burning and everything is going badly, you have the power to make them forget their problems and let them experience the beauty of art, if only for a few moments. You are not the Clown - your performance art, while usually comedic, is more akin to a theatrical performance. Here's a few ideas you can do to entertain the crew.
- Perform a scene from a play, miming all the parts, obviously. Romeo spotting Juliet on the balcony is a classic.
- Re-create a recent event on the station. Maybe the security officers just arrested a criminal? You can act out the dramatic chase.
- Perform a short slapstick sketch. Mime finding a rope, pulling it, looking up, seeing something fall, and getting hit by said object is a simple one.
- Create a stage to perform. Set up a few tables in the library or dorms where you can perform your craft. Invite other performers on the station if you want. Ask Head of Personnel to announce it so everyone knows.
- Start a simple game. Hand someone a box with a note inside that says "If you catch me, I'll reward you with a special show!" and then run away. If they can find you and catch you, you get to entertain them as a reward.
- Ask (through miming obviously) what peoples' favorite scene from a movie or play is. Then act it out!
- Hold a charade competition. You can perform charades and other people can guess what you're miming. Could be done in the bar if the bartender approves. Make sure to have a prize for the winner.
Communicating with Security
If Security wants to know something from you, either because you're being interrogated or you witnessed something important, remember that you're still a crewmember. If the security personnel don't understand what you're acting out, you can get away with writing a note. Sometimes your art must take a back-seat to the benefit of the station.
Keeping with mime flair, the stealth items are always handy when you are a traitor. No one will expect you to speak, ever, so you never have to communicate on the radios. You start with a pair of white gloves, so you don't leave prints (but only fibers) on a crime scene or your traitor items. Since a mime is expected to have a pen for writing notes, the Hypopen is a particularly good choice. Your invisible wall also makes up for a great way to stop hostiles that are pursuing you.
|Jobs on Nyanotrasen|
|Command||Captain · Head of Personnel · Head of Security · Chief Engineer · Mystagogue · Chief Medical Officer|
|Security||Head of Security · Warden · Security Officer · Prison Guard · Security Cadet|
|Engineering||Chief Engineer · Atmospheric Technician · Station Engineer · Salvage Technician|
|Epistemics||Mystagogue · Forensic Mantis · Chaplain · Acolyte · Cataloguer|
|Medical||Chief Medical Officer · Medical Doctor · Paramedic · Psychologist|
|Service||Head of Personnel · Janitor · Quartermaster · Mail Carrier · Bartender · Botanist · Chef · Valet · Boxer · Clown · Martial Artist · Mime · Lawyer · Musician · Reporter · Assistant · Gladiator · Prisoner|
|Sillicon||Robot · Medical Robot · Maintenance Drone · Personal AI|
|Antagonists||Traitor · Nuclear Operative · Paradox Anomaly · Rat King · Rat Servant · Revenant · Zombie|